Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Coming Rains

Today is a beautiful day. It is fall, my absolute favorite time of year. The sun is peeking through a partly cloudy sky, after an amazing weekend of sunshine and warmth. It is a different sort of autumn, one unlike any other I've ever known, but abounding with beauty and variety that keeps my eyes exploring and my lungs deeply filled. Today is a beautiful day.

Compliments to Jack for the beautiful photo!


Tomorrow, when this post will come to your eyes, will be a different sort of day. The rains are coming, and I find that I'm unsure of what that means. Those of you who are familiar with Colorado know that the sun shines pretty much all the time. They say (whoever "they" are) that if you don't like the weather in Colorado, wait a minute. Variety. Extremes. The beauty of nature around every corner. Here in the Pacific Northwest, I can feel the anticipation of the masses, and it is not of wonder, but of survival. It seems that even the land is joining us in taking a collective deep breath, in hopes that the breath will be enough to sustain until relief arrives, in spring.

The gray days are coming. Rain, rain, and more rain. Having never experienced such monotony, I wonder how it will affect me and my family. After years and years of continual sunshine, I have developed a love for the rain. How do I sustain that sense of peace and comfort that comes with the rain for months on end? That is a question I'll only be able to answer after the fact. Stay tuned. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Meanwhile, the rains are coming. Each ray of sunshine is a blessing that I'm trying not to take for granted. Each day begins with a prayer that I will have a thankful heart, regardless of the weather. Thank you, God, for this beautiful fall day.

No comments:

Post a Comment